I have been a bad girl again...
Well, I have made new socks...
The Second Task
Light green weed stretched ahead of him as far as he could see, two feet deep, like a meadow of very overgrown grass. Harry was staring unblinkingly ahead of him, trying to discern shapes through the gloom...
Chapter 26, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" by J K Rowling
The next in my series of Harry Potter themed sock patterns.
The yarn is Crystal Palace's Panda Cotton, in Seascape. I like how the colors knit up like the ripples of sun on the water, it works well with the pattern.
Handsome Devil Socks
From Six Sox Knitalong
Made with black alpaca (unknown brand) and Lion brand Sock-Ease in Taffy
The Hogwarts High Inquisitor
He thought she looked just like a large, pale toad...Even the little black velvet bow perched on top of her short curly hair put him in mind of a large fly she was about to catch on a long sticky tongue.
Chapter 8 "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by J K Rowling
Another of my Harry Potter inspired sock patterns. The yarn is Lion Brand Sock-Ease in Cotton candy. The pattern is adapted from the pattern of the sweater the dreadful Umbridge wears in the first classroom scene from the movie.
I have also been dying yarn for socks.
I used Knit Picks' sock dye blank, and used my favorite dye, Kool-Aid.
A dye blank is a strip of sock yarn, knitted double stranded, and then dyed in any way you wish. I made dots of blue and several shades of green, then filled in the spaces in between with yellow. It is recommended that you soak the yarn for 30 minutes before dying, in order for the dye to get to every part of the yarn, but I did not, so the dye did not get into every nook and cranny, and so there are some spots where the yarn is speckled with white. I like it!
The yarn is then wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a crock pot to steam for about 45 min. It is then left in the unplugged crock pot until it is just lukewarm. I unwrapped it and rinsed out the remaining liquid (which was clear) in lukewarm tap water.
I squeezed out the excess water, rolled it in a towel to further dry it, then laid it out on a towel overnight to dry completely.
Then I started knitting. I did not want to hide the beautiful colors with a busy pattern, so I used a plain stockinette stitch pattern. The colors, I think, are beautiful! There is some wrinkly texture, because of the curliness of the previously knitted yarn, but I have been told this disappears when it is washed and blocked.
These socks remind me of the colors of newly budded trees with the sun and sky peeking through. Oh, I can't wait for spring...