Friday, May 16, 2008

Lost friends...

Along the path of my life I have had many friends, some good, some close, some just in passing. But I have lost a dear friend and I don't know where to find her. Her leaving has left a hole in my heart that at times seems as big as Lake Erie.

She came into my life at work, then when our work paths diverged, we held on to our friendship. She came to this area several years ago, leaving behind a crime ridden, drug infested city life.

She found joy in the close up view of nature like she had never known. She would speak of seeing a deer or pheasant by the roadside, that to me was oh so common in my life, being the country girl that I am. "But I've never seen a deer," she would say, amazed that I should be so nonchalant about it. Her son also would stop by the road to look at the wonders of nature that we country folk took for granted.

But the day after Thanksgiving she called while I was at work, and my mother took the message.

"We miss NJ, and we are going home." They would be staying with friends, and would let me know when they had settled in to a place of their own.

But it is now May, and I have not heard from them, and I wonder if I ever will. She is in her 70's, and I worry that she may pass away, and I will not know.

My heart is broken, and I don't know how to fix it.

Where are you, Janice?

No comments:

I'm a Ravenclaw!